Laser hair removal is a great way to get rid of unwanted hair. But when is the best time of year to have it done?
In order to look at the best time for laser hair removal, we need to take into consideration what kind of skin you have and what type of treatment you are looking for. If you have sensitive skin or if you are looking for a more permanent solution, then winter might be the best time for you. If your goal is just to get rid of some pesky stray hairs, then summer might be the best time.
Laser Hair Removal & Your Skin Type
The best time for laser hair removal is after the summer months for most people. However, this depends on your skin type. Laser hair removal works best when your skin colour is stable. And as far as laser treatment is concerned, there are six different types of skin.
- Skin Type I - Extremely pale skin that is extremely sensitive to sunlight and burns easily.
- Skin Type II - Fair skin that tans minimally and is very sensitive to sunburn.
- Skin Type III - Moderately fair skin that is sun sensitive, burns occasionally, and tans to a light brown colour.
- Skin Type IV - Medium-fair complexion that tans to brown and burns minimally.
- Skin Type V - Olive or medium dark skin that burns rarely and has little sun sensitivity.
- Skin Type VI - Deeply pigmented dark skin that is sun sensitive yet never burns.
At Laser Clinics New Zealand, we successfully treat different skin types all year round with our advanced medical-grade laser technology and a treatment plan that is tailored to you.
Types of Laser Hair Removal Treatment
The type of laser hair removal treatment is another thing to consider in choosing which season is the best time for laser hair removal. The following are the five types of laser hair removal treatments and how they work:
- Type 1: Alexandrite Laser Hair Removal - It uses a single wavelength of light that is absorbed deep into the hair follicles, making it an effective option for all skin types.
- Type 2: Diode Laser Hair Removal - It emits light with energy to permanently damage or destroy hair follicles.
- Type 3: Ruby Laser Hair Removal - It is the oldest type of laser used for hair removal purposes, and works best for light and fine hair types.
- Type 4: Nd and LP Nd: YAG - It uses a single wavelength of light that is absorbed more deeply by the hair follicles than IPL.
- Type 5: IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) - It uses pulses of broad-spectrum light to target the hair follicles.
Talk to our team of experts here at Laser Clinics New Zealand to find out which type of laser hair removal treatment is right for you.
Best Time of Year for Laser Hair Removal
Now that you have successfully determined your skin type and the type of laser hair removal treatment you want, let us dive into the advantages of getting your treatment in the following seasons.
Fall and Winter Laser Hair Removal
Here’s why many people find that fall and winter are the best times to get their laser hair removal treatment:
- No Sun Exposure
One of the main concerns with laser hair removal is sun exposure. After your treatment, you’ll need to avoid direct sunlight for at least four weeks. This can be difficult to do during the summer months. But in the fall and winter, when the days are shorter and you’re likely to spend more time indoors, it’s much easier to stay out of the sun.
- Less Sweating
Another concern with laser hair removal is sweat. Sweat can irritate the skin and cause discomfort after a treatment. It can also increase the risk of side effects like burns. During the fall and winter, you’re less likely to sweat as much, making it a better time for laser hair removal.
- No shaving or waxing required
If you want to get the best results from your laser hair removal treatment, you should not shave or wax for at least four weeks before your appointment. This can be difficult to do in the summer, when swimsuits and shorts
Spring and Summer Laser Hair Removal
Here are some of the benefits of having laser hair removal done during these seasons:
- Less pain
One of the main advantages of having laser hair removal during spring and summer is that the skin is typically more sensitive to heat during these months. This means that the laser will be less likely to cause pain when compared to other times of the year.
- Faster results
Another benefit of having laser hair removal during spring and summer is that the results tend to come faster. This is because hair follicles are typically more responsive to the laser during these months.
- Fewer side effects
Side effects from laser hair removal are usually minimal, but they can occur more frequently when the procedure is performed during colder months. This is because the skin is more likely to be irritated by the cold weather.
- Better tanning
Many people find that their skin tans better after having laser hair removal during spring and summer.
Year-Round Laser Hair Removal
No matter what time of year it is, laser hair removal can be a great way to get rid of unwanted hair. Whether you're looking to get rid of hair on your face, legs, or anywhere else on your body, laser hair removal can help.
At Laser Clinics New Zealand, we offer laser hair treatments year-round. Book a consultation today and start enjoying smooth, hair-free skin all year long!